Middle School Auditions
- Saturday, January 9, 2021
$10.00 per audition. The Postmark Deadline for Audition Fees and Registration Form is Monday, December 14, 2020. Late registrations will not be accepted. Please print the registration form confirmation page and send a copy with your payments to:
Mills Park Middle School
441 Mills Park Drive
Cary, NC 27519
Make checks out to: ECDBA
Virtual Auditions will require new procedures:
-This year, scales do not have to be memorized.
-Scales must be played in the exact order of the scale sheet, in three minutes or less.
-Articulation requirements will be released on the ECDBA website at noon on Wednesday, January 6.
-Refer to solo list on ECDBA website.
-Excerpt measures will be released on the ECDBA website at noon on Wednesday, January 6.
-The 45-second study period limit has been waived due to the nature of virtual auditions.
-Directors are not permitted to assist students in their preparation of the sight reading music.
-Sight reading music will be released on the ECDBA website at noon on Wednesday, January 6.
SPECIAL PERCUSSION CONSIDERATIONS
-Percussionists may use home or school equipment, per director and student preference.
-The percussionist’s hands (mallets, sticks, etc.) must be visible throughout the recording.
-Mallet scales and sight reading will be played one octave only, due to limitations of smaller bell sets at home.
-There is no timpani tuning requirement this year. The timpani rolls will fulfill the scales requirement.
-Students will record one continuous, unedited VIDEO that includes scales first, then solo, then sight reading.
-The student’s face and instrument must be visible throughout the recording.
-Students are not allowed to wear school attire.
-Students are not allowed to speak in the recording.
-Video recordings must be mp4 or WMP files. If students record in a different format, make sure they use a file
converter to change their file to mp4 or WMP.
-Directors will receive students’ audition numbers by December 17.
-Recordings must be saved as "[Level] [Instrument] [Audition Number].mp4” For example:
HS910Trumpet6.mp4 or HS1112Clarinet10.mp4 or MSAltoSax24.mp4.
Complete Instructions including Collection Instructions for Directors (Click Link)
2021 Virtual All District Audition Packets
***For Information Only...NOT THIS YEAR*** In-Person Procedures ***For Information Only...NOT THIS YEAR***
You will find all information regarding the audition included in the East Central District Bandmasters Association All-District Audition Procedures Handbook. Be sure to read through the entire document for information pertaining to:
- specifics duties and responsibilities of chair person, sight host, and judging captains
- director and student eligibility
- registration procedures (Change for 2010-2011: There will be NO late registrations and/or day-of registrations accepted)
- audition regulations
- day of director and student check-in procedures
- student audition and judging procedures
- student runner responsibilities
- band placement
- sample score sheets
- rubrics for scoring procedures
MS 2020-2021 All District Solos
Middle School Audition Scales – Revised 5/2015 to reflect order of 4ths starting on G-Concert through Db Concert
- Scales must be played in order they are posted above (update 5/2015).
- Scales must be memorized. (update 9/2015)
- Scales must be performed in 3 minutes or less. (update 9/2015)
- Students will have 45 seconds for their sight reading performance.
- All directors and judges must register immediately upon arrival at the auditions. At that time, you will be asked to present your current NAfME membership card. Check to see when your membership expires. It is your responsibility to make sure your membership is current. If your NAfME membership is not current, your students will not be allowed to audition. Additionally, all directors are expected to complete the on-line registration for ECDBA membership.
- Every director is expected to participate in judging, in the scoring room, or other duties as assigned. If you do not plan on participating your students will not be allowed to audition.
Please refer to instructions emailed on November 20th - Make sure you submit BOTH registrations
Director Registration Form
Student Registration Form
BOTH Registrations due December 14, 2020
Middle School Auditions Co-Chairs:
Mills Park MS
Middle School Site Host: